Access AESOP (for substitutes already on the D69 sub list)
Thank you for your interest in substitute teaching in School District 69. Substitute teachers are critical for providing continuity of instruction when our teachers are absent. Your assistance helps us to maintain an ongoing program for our students in spite of emergencies and illnesses that occur among our faculty.
Substitute Teaching License
To be eligible for a substitute teaching license, you must have a bachelor’s degree in any field.
To apply for a substitute license you will need to use ELIS, the online licensure system. Please refer to the detailed directions below for information on the online process.
If you hold a current Illinois teaching certificate, Professional Educator Licesne (PEL), you do not need to obtain a Substitute Teaching License.
Applying to Become a District 69 Substitute
You may apply online to be considered for a substitute teacher position, at any time. We typically do not list it as a specific job vacancy. Please use our online application system and select “Substitute Teacher” for the position desired.
We periodically review candidate’s online credentials/applications to make additions to our substitute list. Due to the number of qualified candidates, we are unable to interview every applicant. We will contact you if we desire to schedule an interview. Candidates who interview for a position and are not selected will be notified in writing. All applicant credentials will be kept on file for one year.
Once you Have Been Selected to be a District 69 Substitute
If you are selected as a substitute teacher, you will need to complete an FBI fingerprint background check and child abuse/neglect check, each of which must be satisfactory to the District, as part of the hiring process. Once you are approved for the substitute list, you will be provided with a login and password for our substitute system, Frontline Education (AESOP), which is used to report absences and assign substitutes.
Substitute Teaching Handbook
Information about substitute teaching in District 69 is contained in the District 69 Substitute Teacher Handbook.
If you have any questions, please contact Robyn Foreman, Substitute Coordinator,
firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 847-982-6229
Applying Online for a Substitute License
In order to obtain your sub license, you need to go online to make an application. The state is not taking paper applications. Please follow these steps to create an account with the state AND to make your application. You will need to have a credit card handy.
- Go to: https://sec3.isbe.net/IWASNET/login.aspx
- On the left hand side in the light blue section you will see “Sign Up Now”. Click on that to create an account with ISBE.
- Enter your personal information (Name, Birth Date, SSN). You will create a login name and a password. We recommend that you use a personal email address with ISBE so that they can communicate with you in the future. Click continue.
- You should be re-directed to a log-in screen. You can now enter your login name and password. If you aren’t re-directed to a log in screen, you can go here and click on the “Educator Access” to log in to your ELIS account.
- On the Home Page of your personal account, you should see a link that says “Apply for Illinois License, Endorsement, or Approval”. Click here and follow the directions to apply for the license. You will apply for a “substitute license”. To be eligible for a substitute license, you need to have a bachelor’s degree (it can be in any field).
- During the online application process, you will need to pay an application fee. The state will also assess a small fee for the credit card transaction. You will also need to register the certificate in Region 05 – North Cook for its 5-year validity period.
- You will need to submit official transcripts to the state of Illinois. You should send those to: North Cook ISC / ROE 05, c/o Shirley Bloom, licensure, 2340 Des Plaines River Road, Suite 414, Des Plaines, IL 60018
Substitute Reimbursement Information
- Have a Substitute license issued AFTER July 1, 2017, continue reading below.
- Would like to see the requirements for a Substitute license: Educator Licensure Requirements
- Would like information on how to apply for a Substitute license: Educator Licensure Application
In efforts to reduce the substitute teacher shortage, ISBE is now offering a reimbursement of application and registration fees to qualifying applicants.
- Your Sub issuance date must be later than July 1, 2017
- You must work at least 10 full school days within one year of your issuance date
- You must apply for the reimbursement within 18 months of your issuance date
If you meet these requirements, please complete form 73-02: Substitute License Fee Refund Request. This form must be returned to ISBE by the school or district official. Forms submitted by the applicant will not be honored.